Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oktoberfest

When I visited home, the Oktoberfest was going on about 4 blocks away from Patrick's house. It was actually in the backyard of an older stone Lutheran church with beautiful red doors. (I read that many churches have red doors, because red symbolizes the sacrificial blood of Christ that saves those who come to him. Red is also a reminder of the Passover and a sign of the Holy Spirit.  Church doors began to be painted red as a way of remembering the ultimate sacrifice that others had made for their faith.*)  Patrick and our friend Charlie were paid to help out with the festivities and as a result, I got delicious free food! A lot of people were dressed up in very intricate costumes and they even had a full polka band, but I really only got 2 pictures of cute older men.

They also had a little section full of hand made goodies like baskets, jewelry, paintings, wooden bowls, and glass sculptures. The artists were very nice to talk to, and I didn't feel like I was in trouble for touching things like I do whenever I visit the Market in Charleston!
I tried the Jaegar schnitzel, the weisswurst and the bratwurst. They were so gooooooooooood. The first day of the festival Patrick brought me home the Jaegar schnitzel. I could only eat a little bit of it, because I was in bed sick, but it was absolutely yummy. The last day of the festival I was able to eat up every bit of my meal plus the crumbs so it made up for it.
And here's post Oktoberfest. This is Charlie, Patrick and me at a get together we had at our friends Ian and Dillon's place. I have so many pictures from that, and I'll have to bombard you with them another time. Also I added in some mushy pictures that Amelia took of Patrick and me. They're my favorite.


I hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday and enjoying the month of October as much as I am. Right now the weather has gotten back up into the 80's and I can't wait for next week when they drop back down to the 50's. C'mon fall weather! I also put up the Pennsylvania Polka at the end of the post so you could feel like you were there with us!

Till next time,

Jess
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment =]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...